Memory Wall

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

…Author Unknown


Please note that if you don’t see your memorial on this page, it will have been posted within the blog under Grieving and Remembrance.

Lady Russer

Russer (also called Lady) was adopted from a loving family in 2009. She came into our lives with a lot of personality and that never diminished even as she aged. Russer was a very smart girl who knew a lot of tricks and loved performing for an audience. She knew “dance”, where she would stand on her back feet and spin around in circles. She knew “bang” where you would make a gun with your fingers and she would fall on the ground and play dead. Any time Russer had an audience she was happy!

When Russer first came into our home we took her to doggy classes to help get her socialized a bit more. She loved it! She looked forward to every class and was always wagging her tail. At the end of the classes Russer won the “Dog About Town” award for her willingness to put herself in situations she wasn’t always comfortable with.

Russer was happiest when she was surrounded by her family, curled up in her chair with a blanket while we watched TV or read a book. She loved to sit with you no matter what you were doing, especially if you were in the kitchen because you might drop something! Her most favorite activity was to sit by the back door and watch for squirrels. She did her level best to make sure the house was safe from a squirrel burglary!
Russer passed away peacefully on November 8th in her Grandma’s arms. She didn’t suffer and went to doggy heaven surrounded by the one thing she loved most in world – love.

We will all miss Russer with all our hearts. She touched so many human lives in her short time on this planet and we hope she is in doggy heaven running and playing and performing her tricks for a whole new audience.

We will miss you Russer!
Love Viola, Jennifer and Sara.


The Life of Our Sweet Boy, FINN … more than just a “rescue” dog

Finn was found on the streets of Celina, Ohio as a “stray” in May 2014.  This is where Finn’s story starts…a chance at a new life, better health, a family and love.

Finn was brought to a shelter and assessed and needed some surgeries.  He was under20 lbs when found, and was thought to be over 10 years old, a senior.

The shelter in Ohio contacted the JRTRO to see if they would take him and they had the means to rescue Finn, so he was saved.

After healing from surgeries, Finn came to Canada and stayed with his Foster Mom Josée in London. We were ready for another Jack in our lives after losing our first one, so I found the JRTRO website, saw Finn’s profile, and it was love at first sight!finn1

We adopted Finn and on Aug 31, 2014, and he was finally in his forever home.  Finn had a few issues probably because of his past.  He cried for food a lot even after he ate, he would eat sticks and feces on walks, and he would wrap himself tightly in blankets every night.  He didn’t seem to know how to climb stairs, sometimes peed in the house and didn’t seem to be familiar with affection.  He would cringe and crouch if we raised our voice, as if he was bracing himself in case he was struck.  He would cry when we left the house, obvious abandonment issues.

With gentle guidance and lots of love, Finn quickly learned the routine of the house and settled in.  He went on a walk every day, got 3 meals a day plus treats, had the run of the house, got to sleep wherever he wanted and had two of his own beds.  We fenced in the large yard for him, but he only hung out there when we were in it.

But more importantly, he had the love and caring of a mom and dad and Finn got to be the only pet in the house, with no kids, so he got a lot of attention.

We got to experience some pretty neat changes in Finn, as he began to learn that he was safe and had unconditional love.  He stopped eating crap out on our walks, he learned to master the stairs, he rarely had bathroom incidents, stopped wrapping himself in blankets and crying for food lessened.finn3

The most rewarding change was seeing Finn accept the hugs and kisses he got every night and nudging us to give him more.  His confidence grew as he would speak to us when he wanted something and have most every need or want taken care of.  I think he learned that we would do anything for him!

Finn was definitely older, he had cataracts, hearing loss but that didn’t slow him down.  His last year of life in 2016, we watched him age and decline, getting slower, sleeping lots, coughing like an old man but he was still able to go on walks and enjoy life.  In mid-December he seemed to change drastically, didn’t want to go on walks, was eating less and sleeping very deeply.  After a trip to the vet just before Christmas, we got the terrible news that Finn’s organs were failing and he had a bleed in his stomach.

Finn crossed the Rainbow Bridge later that evening with us holding and kissing him ‘till the very end.

We only had Finn for 2.5 years and we knew when we adopted him we would have a shorter time with him because of his age, but that never mattered to us.  We just knew we wanted him.  We feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to love and care for this sweet boy.  We are missing him terribly because he was such a presence in our lives and the light of our home.finn2 

….But the best feeling is knowing we gave that little guy so much love and caring to make up for any bad that happened in his life before and he loved us back, and giving him the experience of being a real family member and the feeling of being safe with us, was truly a wonderful experience.

‘Till we’re together again Finn, xoxo.

Carol Oliver & John Charleau

In Memory of Hope (January 26, 2008 – January 29, 2016)


It is with great sadness I let everyone know that “Hope” died peacefully on January 29th,  2016 at 1:15pm.


Hope joined our family with my dad and mom in 2008 and immediately became a valued member of the family.  She filled their hearts with love joy and so many good memories, for Hope not having eyes she was very limited.  My Dad had a metal pole in the front lawn and they would attach Hope to it and then you would say “Run” and she would run in circles and just be happy.   She never had a problem showing her affection to anyone, she learned to trust very fast and relied on her mom and dad very much.

Unfortunately Hope herself experienced another great tragedy when her mom and dad both passed away, and it was with honor and pleasure that Hope fulfilled her life living with me, the son of and Hope’s brother as my dad use to call me.  She and I had always been close and I loved the time I had with her.

She is now out of pain, the cancer is gone, her eyes are back, and she can hear.  Most of all she has rejoined her mom and dad and for the first time got to see them!  Run free my little angel until we meet again!  Love now and always.



Hope and her best friend Oliver

In Memory of Becky (December 2015)

In memory of sweet BeckyThank you to the JRTRO and their wonderful volunteers for your tireless effort on behalf of the Jack Russell’s that come into your care. Although Becky wasn’t a Rescue we enjoyed many memorable times participating and volunteering at the JRTRO events over the past years. Becky could be seen in her later years travelling in her sling or carriage at events and fundraisers. This year we couldn’t think of anything more fitting than to donate on behalf of our beloved Becky and the 18 plus years we shared with her to the JRTRO. May you rest in peace Little One.

Rob & Deb Mahon

Tack   April 19, 2014

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I just wanted to let your organization know how successful our adoption of our JRT has been.  We got Tack (you had  him under Kenzie) in June 2012 as a foster dog through your program.  We only had him 2 days before we knew we were the home for him and adopted him.

Since then he has been a central figure in our home.  He endeared himself especially to my husband when he rid our lot of groundhogs who were being particularly destructive.  They became real buddies and he accompanied my husband to work and coffee.   He made it his job to patrol our yard and alert us to visitors.  He was smart and well behaved and had obviously been taught manners, which always made us wonder why his owners never claimed at the shelter that found him.

Tack was such a little character and my elderly father and sister-in-law became especially fond of him.

He was a stray so we were only given an estimate of his age when we got him and I think it might have been a little low.  He probably was much older but one couldn’t be sure because he was so energetic and playful that he seemed like a young dog.

Sadly Tack died suddenly this past Saturday morning as he sat with his buddy in their favourite chair.  We think it was a heart attack.  He did not suffer and we are grateful for that but it is difficult to have him gone so unexpectedly.

I just want to tell someone how much he was loved and how he injected fun and humour into our home.  His adoption was a total success. We will sorely miss him.

I know it seems like we should think about having another Jack but we have decided to put that on hold for a while.  Our situation is changing and it would be difficult to introduce a new dog into those changes.  However, we wouldn’t have any other dog than a Jack.  Tack was wonderful.

Thank you for helping us with the experience of loving a Jack.

Sincerely, Brenda (& Bob)

Kozmo April 19, 1999 – October 15, 2013

Kozmo kozmo 2Kozmo came into my life when he was just 10 weeks old and I knew he was going to be exceptional. He loved his people and wherever they were, that’s where he wanted to be too. He loved going in the car, for long road trips or even just to the grocery store. He was so smart. He knew all his different toys by name and would fetch whichever one he was asked for, regardless of where in the house or yard it was – he would find it and bring it.

The summer of 2010 was particularly challenging for us. In July, Kozmo was diagnosed with Diabetes and Cushing’s Disease, requiring twice daily insulin shots and pills for the Cushing’s. Then in September he developed Glaucoma in both of his eyes. We tried to regulate with drugs, but this rarely works long term in dogs, especially given Kozmo’s other medical issues. I had a very difficult decision to make, but I simply could not accept that not being able to see also meant the end of Kozmo’s life. His veterinarians assured me he could go on to enjoy life without sight. I decided to go ahead with the surgery to remove both his eyes and thankfully, the vets were right. Kozmo soon learned the layout of the house, able to find his food and water dishes, how to go up and down the stairs in the house and down from the deck to his yard outside. He continued to bark at the squirrels he could hear in the trees and the “intruders” he could hear walking by the house. I filled tennis balls with jingle bells so he could chase and fetch them. Friends bought us toys that made noise and laughed whenever I took Kozmo for a walk because even though he couldn’t see, he still insisted on pulling me everywhere!

Kozmo was the greatest companion I could ever have hoped for and he made my world a better place. I will miss him immensely. May he rest in peace.

Katherine Boyce


It wasn’t love at first sight for Chelsea but we gave her the space she needed and showed her that we were committed to her. She spent the first evening at home in her travel box and growled at anyone who came within metres of her. Later that night, she made her way to the couch across from everyone else but continued to ignore the family.

ChelseaAt around 4 in the morning, I heard the pitter-patter of feet coming up the stairs to our bedroom and that was the night I lost ownership of my side of the bed. Chelsea brought joy to the household that December of 2005. Our family is forever grateful to Jocelyn of JRTRO for fostering Chelsea for many years and making her the wonderful dog that she was.

Chelsea was an avid hunter and would follow her daddy to worksites in the bush. She never wandered away and always checked to see where daddy was. Together as a family, we would enjoy long walks in the forest that surrounded the town.

Chelsea lived to the ripe old age of about 16 years and enjoyed a great life with our family. She is missed dearly and will always be in our hearts.

Susan and James Parsons


Buddy wasn’t just a dog but a best friend, a brother and an integral part of the Wilson family. He loved people and would greet them with tons of kisses and welcomed them like family. Although he was a little guy, he would stand up to the biggest dogs in the neighbourhood.

One of his most favourite things to do is to lay in the sun and soak in the warmth. Buddy also loved watching tv. He would stare at the tv and wait for it to be turned on. Buddy was a dog that had his own evening shows to watch. Some of his favourites included Dog Whisperer, Pick a Puppy, and Dr. Pol. Buddy also loved exploring. He was always curious and showed no fear.

Laura, his human sister, expressed her love for Buddy in saying, “I am the only child so he became my brother. He was the greatest dog anyone would have the pleasure of meeting.” He left the world too soon and is missed dearly.

Andy and Aurora

Although Andy and Aurora were not littermates they were soulmates.  They were born into a family home environment and had the same parents. Andy was from the first litter and Aurora from the second. They were together constantly from the time we brought wee Aurora home at eight weeks and introduced her to her big brother Andy, who was 16 months.   They were inseparable, often to Andy’s chagrin.  They looked so alike but they were different – Aurora anxious where Andy was calm, a fussy eater where Andy never said no to a treat. But what made them so truly similar was their love of any type of play – stick chasing, ball chasing, walks at the beach – and their brave hearts and loving dispositions. Aurora died of cancer just a few months shy of 13 years in May 2007 and Andy died during seizures last December at almost 17.  We miss them every day. ~Linda Klan and Peter Coney

Maggie: February 19, 2010 We adopted Maggie when she was about 10 years old. Myself and the kids had been wanting a JRT for some time and had been looking at the site for a few months trying to find the right dog. Never did we think that a senior dog was going to be the one. But once I saw Maggie it was love at first site.   Since the very first day she was in our family she was full of surprises. We thought that we were just getting a great pet but we got much more. She somehow knew when my son needed her. Everyday after school she was at the door waiting for the kids to come home and if my son was having a bad day she knew and would sit with him for hours calming him down and making him feel better. Never was she taught to be this way, she just knew he needed her. We did so many fun things with Maggie. Swimming in the canal in on a record breaking heat wave in October, traveling to the States for a Pet Expo, Trick or Treating, a JRT fun day, even being a model in a few photo shoots. The few years that we had with her were so packed full of love. She loved our walks along the canal to sit and watch the sun set. Even when her health started to fail she was still our lovable Miss Maggie. On Feb 19, 2010 we had to make the hard choice to help her on the journey to the Rainbow Bridge. She has been battling a form of dementia for some time and was showing signs of heart trouble. We knew that she was not herself anymore and was no longer enjoying life as she knew it.  As I held her for the last time she let me know the never ending love she had for us. Kissing the tears away letting me know it was okay, she was ready to start a new journey. Maggie’s time with us may of been shorter than we had wished but she taught us much more than we could of taught her. We miss her everyday and will always remain in our hears as our Miss Maggie Moo.

Scooter : 1999-2010 Scooter lived a life of near-perfection. When he was very young, he came to live with Lynda and Allen at their huge farm on Lake Erie. He delighted in riding along on the gator with Allen, or visiting the horses in the barn with Lynda. He helped run the sugaring-off in the spring of each year. He kept busy winter, spring, summer and fall with the many jobs involved in running a farm. In the past two years he enjoyed travelling to Florida for the winter months. Unfortunately he did not live to see through this winter, and he died in Florida while tending to the horses. He is missed more than words can express. We are grateful for the years he had, and his life that was so full of love and adventure.

Raleigh : 2004- 2009: “The Most Tragical Dog in the Whole World” If you sat down to write the saddest doggie story of all time you’d probably come up with something like Raleigh ’s story. He came to me in 2006 as the most frightened and traumatized dog that any of us had seen, his young life marred by abuse and teasing at the hands of three out-of-control kids.  Socializing Raleigh was the most work I’d ever invested in a dog.  He would stand at the window barking furiously at anything that went by; he would lunge at other dogs while out on walks, growl at people coming to the door, and was generally out-of-sorts with the world.  At home, he could never quite settle in, forever peeing on the rugs and furniture, although he eventually called a truce with his two Jack siblings. He began to come into his own in the JRT Trials and Fun Days.  He was a natural athlete and excelled at all things Jack- it did wonders for his confidence and he finally began to find his niche in the grand scheme of things.  His temperament changed and he lost his fear of the world. The usual snarling at people at the door was replaced with hugs and smiles and big wet, sloppy kisses. Rescue dogs are especially loving once they settle in- Raleigh could hardly express enough gratitude for his new life, forever snuggling and following me around the house. He began to go down when I had to put down Sydney, his 14 year old rescue sibling.  At first I thought he was depressed but then I realized it was more than that.  X-rays revealed a serious lung infection and other possible complications.  Despite the best treatment and loving-care we could give him, he continued to decline and died in my arms early in the morning on the first day of winter 2009. Although Raleigh ’s story is heartbreaking on so many levels, it shouldn’t discourage those who want to help in the rescue of these magnificent dogs.  Although he was struck down just when life was really getting good for him, his three years of love in a happy home was able to erase all the bad things that happened to him in puppyhood, and he died a happy and well-loved dog with a wide following of friends and admirers. Jim Lawson, December 2009

Sydney- 1995- 2009 Sydney was probably the smartest dog I’ve ever known.  In somewhat-typical JRT form he would sit on the sofa in the midst of our conversations, calmly looking from person to person as they spoke like he was about to say something.  And no, he didn’t really play chess, but it wouldn’t have surprised anyone if he did. He’s lucky he made it to his first birthday though.  As a pup he committed that common and usually fatal JRT error of charging across the road at an unsuspecting squirrel, slamming headlong into a passing car and knocking himself senseless.  The dog was fine but the humans involved were considerably shaken by the incident. He was my sister’s dog for the first 7 years of his life and in that period enjoyed life on a four-acre farm south of Windsor, freely mingling with the other farm animals, occasionally trotting down to the next farm to visit his other doggie friends, and regularly tormenting his old buddy, Ebony, the resident horse.  It was almost comical to see this 16 pound dog trying furiously to bring down a 1,200 pound horse, but he was determined and Ebony displayed infinite patience, only trodding on him once or twice as Syd worried his fetlocks. He became my first “rescue” when my sister had to find a new home for him and despite the transition from country life to the city of Toronto , he enjoyed himself immensely for the next 7 years. He was very sick for the last year of his life but put such a brave face on it that even his vet wasn’t aware of how ill he was.  On the last weekend of November he made his final voyage to Windsor to stay with his old Mom and Dad, who knew what needed to be done.  My last image of him was that of Sydney sitting in my brother-in-law’s lap, home at last and happily licking the face of his “Daddy”.  He spent his last 24 hours snuggled with his old family, eating meatloaf and spending one more morning with his old buddy and nemesis, Ebony, before his final journey down the Green Mile. He is missed by his Rescue siblings Raleigh and Suzie, with whom he enjoyed many fine hours, and his dozens of human friends and admirers.

Our beloved Jennie, 1996-2011

Jennie came to me as an 8 month old puppy, I took her in from an elderly gentleman that  just couldn’t keep up with her.  Jennie was a sweet and saucy girl that kept me both challenged and entertained throughout the years.  She was a beloved companion, comedienne and great huntress of vacuum cleaners.

%d bloggers like this: